Up until today, I still did not have the proper content to send out a greeting to all my Muslim readers who are participating in the holy month of Ramadan. I hereby would like to wish you all a pleasant and blessed remainder of Ramadan.

Personally, I participate in Ramadan as much as I can, because I do support its solidarity, and believe it is an effective collective movement that is efficient in making you feel more compassionate towards the less fortunate. To me, participating in Ramadan is beyond a religious choice, because frankly speaking: religion does not influence me.


In addition to the moral message of Ramadan, I also pretty much enjoy what I like to call the 'Ramdan vibe'. Late nights with family members, good food, and simply feeling like a much more compassionate human being is rewarding. Then comes the fashion, which is what I would like to highlight in this post: Ramadan chic is a thing, and it has been for a very long time. I am talking about vintage kaftans spreading in numerous issues of Vogue, as well as international designers - like the iconic Yves Saint Laurent - launching collections which highlight the beauty of the kaftan chic, that always remind me of Ramadan nights and style.

Color, prints and the Sahara...  lets bring back some vintage Ramadan chic from iconic fashion moments.


Janice Dickinson, May Vogue (1976)
Jean Patou 1971

Minimal designs featuring stripes, geometric shapes and black & white appeared in Vogue archives, worn by the likes of Janice Dickinson. The 70's super model was often photographed for Vogue in Kaftan dresses, notably in stripes, geometric patterns, and sometimes even with matching head scarves. The styling used on the model in Vintage Vogue editorials always influenced my summer holiday styling, as it comes off as 'arabian night' elegant and comfortable.

And then we have the color, which is a typical trait of arabian fashion and the Ramadan spirit. The florals, the shapes and the gradient of colors.

Rene Russo Photographed by Helmut Newton, Vogue (1974)
British Vogue (1970)

Floral print Kaftan, British Vogue (1966)
Going back to scroll through vintage Vogue archives (a favorite hobby of mine) brought to my attention the importance of styling and incorporating statement jewelry pieces with your head-scarf - for the ladies who choose to cover their heads. Vintage fashion has a long history of using scarves, particularly head scarves as an added styling technique. For style inspiration in Ramadan, I strongly suggest digging up some photos of how the vintage Russian ladies did their headscarves. Absolute beauty!

If you need quick inspiration, here are two photos I've found from vintage fashion editorial (the second photo reinforces the idea of how beautiful all turquoise looks can be).
Fred Joaillier Jewelry (1976)

Vogue (1972)


Last but not least, can we have a moment to admire late 80's/early 90s Yves Saint Laurent? The mix of unconventional fabric pairing, and Sahara inspiration was a work of art on the runway. The cultural inspiration and influence of the arabian night on the collections was evident, and can be used as inspiration even for today's Ramadan chic.

YSL Autumn-Winter (1989)
YSL Spring-Summer (1990)